Thursday, October 22, 2009

Aloha Hawaii





Hilla and I are here in Hawaii forcing ourselves to enjoy the sun and the sea and the kindess of the island people. This morning we were on the local morning news program and then we went to the theater where we screened the film for students from five different schools. This was the first time an audience of young people were gathered together to watch the film, and judging from their reaction afterwards AND their concentration during I'd say it was a big success. The kids seems to connect on such a deep level with the struggles of the New Orleans' kids and the stories of each of them overcoming their obstacles. We're already trying to figure out how to create more screenings for Middle School Students throughout the U.S.

Anyone out there with ideas about how to get this film into Middle Schools and High Schools?

4 comments:

  1. I am a school social worker for Detroit Public Schools and one of my assignments is a PreSchool through 8th grade building. I will look into showing it to Middle School grades at my school.

    I can also pass the information on to my colleagues. Can you please contact me on facebook with additional details. I feel very blessed to have met you and would love to support your great work.

    Sue Radzilowski (Lance Hick's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. James...Aloha! It was an amazing experience to be in the presence of the work you shared in Honolulu yesterday! Can't wait to see if there is more connection to happen! I will be posting your site on the KirshaFoundation.org website and mine (drvali.com) and getting the word out as I travel for my work. I also want to send you a piece that I'm sending to Hilla if you would be kind enough to send me an email when you get done enjoying some well deserved Aloha! Best and Mahalo, Vali Hawkins Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue - I hope you read this, I wasn't able to get in touch with you through facebook. please email me at: hilla@afterthestormfoundation.org
    Thanks!!!!

    Vali - was so great meeting you and thanks for posting our link on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vali - So great to meet you. Let's dicuss how KrishnaFoundation and After The Storm cna work together. We are all about telling stories and using Art as a means to heal young lives. I'm back in NYC this week -- maybe we can back-and-forth some ideas.
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete